Which is better? – Using an eCommerce provider, or Building your own Site? Once you get a Website Built, most Advantages Stay with a Homegrown Site.
Selling on eBay or Amazon Platforms
- Popularity. One of the biggest advantages of selling on eBay or Amazon is having the power of their globally known websites to market your product – both of these have huge customer bases, and a huge amount of credibility and trust with customers.
- Powerful infrastructure. The big eCommerce sites have strong back-end infrastructures to support shipping, inventory, and even tax collection across various state requirements.
- Referral strategy. Customers visiting eBay or Amazon may come to the site for something totally unrelated to your product lines, and then be recommended to buy your product as well, because the referrals are setup to point users to other products in the same genre
Selling on Your Own eCommerce Site
- Independence. Selling through your own eCommerce store frees you from any kind of regulations or requirements imposed by the big eCommerce platforms
- No recurring charges. Once you have established your own website, the only thing that must be paid for periodically is the domain charge – there are no monthly fees or annual fees as there would be with another provider, and some of these can really add up, because there are many different kinds of fees levied.
- Company recognition.When you sell on your own eCommerce site, everything about a sale from beginning to end is a reflection of your company. That means that a great shopping cart system, excellent shipping, and strong customer service and support all become associated with your company rather than another provider. This all goes into establishing your brand in the marketplace, and getting your company name out there among consumers.
- Customer loyalty. On someone else’s site you do not build up customer loyalty – all loyalty would be to eBay or Amazon. Selling on your own site allows customers to relate your great products and services to your company name, and return to you when they want more great products and services.
- Leads and prospects. When you sell on other hosted websites, you are not allowed to capture customers’ email addresses to build up your leads file; selling on your own site, you are completely free to build leads as much as you like.
Expert Help to Optimize Your Website
For those companies who want all eCommerce handled for them, selling through an e-Commerce provider can be great – but in most other ways, having your own eCommerce site is the clear winner. One of the best platforms for an eCommerce store is through Magento ecommerce – you can create Magento website for your business with your own Magento eCommerce site builder or have expert consultants like those at CommerceBees assist you.
Using Magento development techniques applied by CommerceBees, you can have your own eCommerce website up and running very quickly, and then you can enjoy all the advantages of branding and cost savings this provides.